Saturday, April 17, 2010

How can I find out if credits from a class taken at another college will transfer to my current program?

I'mm enrolled in a Master's program at a University, and it requires a course in Research Methods. The course is only offered in the Spring, and the workload is so incredible that I have to take that course by itself (no other courses that semester). It is going to set back my graduation by an entire semester. I want to know how I can go about finding out what other colleges in the area offer it and if the credits will transfer into my program. Please help! Thanks!

How can I find out if credits from a class taken at another college will transfer to my current program?
The transferability of courses generally is determined by the college that is giving you the degree. Sometimes there are what are called articulated agreements with other institutions, which means that colleges have agreed in advance to accept certain courses. Unfortunately, it is highly unlikely that your university would have a master's level research course articulation agreement. For one reason, most programs want to be sure that you are trained by their standards, and are unlikely to approve in advance other courses.


This leaves the option of explaining to the program director that you would like to take X course at another university. You would provide the catalog description of the course and possibly even a syllabus, and the director would decide if you can substitute it.


Because research methods courses typically are among the most difficult, I am sure that the faculty are wary about students going elsewhere to substitute such a course.


So, you can try the substitution route, but be prepared to present a compelling reason for you taking it elsewhere AND for it being a comparable course.

hotels

No comments:

Post a Comment