Saturday, April 17, 2010

How do you study the relationship between alcohol abuse and crime?

This question is for my research methods course in Criminal Justice. I was thinking I could use statistics of people arrested while intoxicated; however, this whole thing has me stumped! I'm thinking I would have to do a test sample, try a group of people under certain conditions with and without alcohol to get the relationship. Help!!!

How do you study the relationship between alcohol abuse and crime?
Go to any local police station and ask officers how many DUI's and `intoxicated in public` and fist-fights they've been called to (at bars), and then how many other crimes they tend to go after. Keep in mind, that's a local ratio number, not a very good generic idea for percentiles, but i should be a start. Perhaps asking a few police stations to help you in this would provide a better range?


No comments:

Post a Comment