Tuesday, April 13, 2010

What is the best method in writing paper, either a 5 page or a 20 page research paper?

I am a senior in college and have been writing papers since the first day I stepped into college, however, since this is my last year not only do I have to do a 20 page research paper but several small ones. My question is; is there any method that you would recommend that has proven to work for you? I start off with an outline but papers are still a headache to me. Any advice would help....Thanks a million.

What is the best method in writing paper, either a 5 page or a 20 page research paper?
I've been where you were. As an undergraduate student in science I wrote a lot of 10-15 page papers. Then for undergraduate thesis, I had to write 50 pages.





The same outline theory applies as always. The difference is that in each section more information will be required (and usually a broader topic is the start).





You don't mention what discipline you are in (science, history, English, etc).





From a science perspective, I was successful by using the same formats as I would for a smaller paper (abstract, intro, methods, results, discussion) and concentrated the extra information in the discussion.





In the case of a history essay, I would use increase the number of logical arguments to back up your thesis statement (instead of 10, maybe 30).





I hope this helps.
Reply:I also use an outline. I find that if you break a big task down into smaller parts; its much easier. Here is how I tend to break things down.





1) First obviously you need a topic


2) Do you research and take good notes; also don't forget to write your sources down.


3) Make your outline


4) Start writing; since you are already organized by your outline the actual writing should come out smoothly


5) Read over paper and edit.





You can break things down further if you need to; there is no need to spend all day doing these things; spend a few hours then move onto something else and come back. Just make sure you have some sort of schedule so you aren't doing everything at the last possible moment.

dr teeth

No comments:

Post a Comment